Before you have a chance to say anything more, a police car pulls up behind the pickup and the policeman bids you and the guy come over to him.  “Finally!” you think, “now this guy can get his car running and maybe I can get to work before they fire me too much.”  “You kids havin’ car trouble?” the cop asks.  “Yeah, a little,” the guy talks about the eighteen-wheeler and what it might have done to you if things had been just a little bit different.  “Oh,” he adds, “and my radiator’s shot.  Do you think you could help us out?”
“I’d like to, kids, but I’m afraid this is private property you decided to stop your cars on.” 
“What?” barely escapes your lips.
“I’m gonna have to impound your cars and write you a couple of fines… these people out here are really crazy about their private property.  It’s really just bad luck that you had to stop here.”
Your mouth hangs open, “So they own the shoulder of this road?”
“Nope,” the cop says, “they own the grass you’re both so eloquently parked on.  Especially you, son.” He points to you.
He starts writing out the tickets.  “It’s okay,” the guy says, “it was my fault you stopped so I’ll pay for you.”